Make Your Own Hand Treatment
If you're anything like me, constant hand washing really makes your skin sore. No matter how gentle the soap I use, it always happens.
Here's a really quick and simple recipe for my hand rescue treatment
- Shea butter - organic unrefined 100g (See Notes)
- Avocado oil - refined 50ml
- Jojoba oil - golden cold pressed 50ml
You will also need a mixing bowl and an electric mixer. Or a whisk and some determination!
- Place all of your shea butter in your mixing bowl and melt it over a pan of boiling water (or use a microwave).
- Add all of your avocado oil and jojoba oil once the shea butter is melted, stir gently to combine
- Remove from the heat and place in the fridge to cool
- Once the mixture is looking like it is starting to set, get your mixer or whisk ready and give it a mix for 5-10 minutes. It should reach a light, creamy consistency
- Apply thinly, a little goes a long way!
The scent of unrefined shea butter isn't for everyone, and that's OK! If you don't like it, just use refined shea butter. However, I do find that unrefined shea butter works better on my skin.
I don't add any essential oils because I apply this to my skin when it is broken and irritated. However, if your skin is in better shape then go ahead and add any scent you fancy!
When I'm making treatments regularly I keep my shea butter in the airing cupboard so it is soft and warm. Then you don't need to melt it or set it in the fridge, you can simply mix all the ingredients together and whisk for 5-10 minutes. But without softened shea butter, you're going to need to melt it.
Lastly, this treatment is quite slow to absorb, so I put it on about 30mins before a shower or before bed. Works an absolute treat for me!